Oceans – Endurance

For those of you who cling to every word I write this band may come as no surprise to you. I first brought Oceans to the attention of you Waveriders in my "Rumors Heard in MySpace" feature and recommended that you all stop by to check out the bands tunes. I believe I mentioned that they have this progressive rock vibe going on without being so over the top that you begin to question your own intelligence. And, after listening to their seven song disc called Endurance, I stand by that statement. This is the type of prog-rock that you can spin over and over again because it’s down to earth and filled with more soul than the average bands of the genre. Too many times, prog-rock is riddled with moments of extreme technical brilliance but all at the sacrifice of the soul. Music’s gotta’ have the soul . . . otherwise, it’s just noise.

I’ve made mention of soul and I don’t want you all to listen to Endurance expecting to hear some James Brown funkified rhythm and soul break down. No . . . what I’m getting at is that Oceans approach their brand of progressive rock in a more common emotional manner. It’s a disc comprised of music with strong melodies, songs that organically grow with every note, lyrics that allow the mind to drift to realms beyond reality but never becoming so fantastic that they’re unbelievable. Oh, and the musicianship? Forget about it. I’ve already pegged them as a prog-type outfit so it should be a given that the musicians of this band have mad chops.

After a multi-layer synth intro, the band shows their full glory with the outstanding “The Other Side.” Every member of the band shows what they’re made up of on this track. The guitars shift from subtle and understated to blazing when opening up the distortion and tearing into the solos. The bass work is warm and full, simply a cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter’s night. The keyboards creating walls of ambient sound, acting as a shroud to the background of the stage, hide the lurking stage hands as they make the visuals possible. The drums not only keep time, but express in vibrant color and form the drive of the tune. And finally, the vocals of Rhea Cryingwolf are soaring and expressive, powerful without a hint of fragility, picks up the song and fills the heart with movement. “The Other Side” is a great example of musicians building on the work of those around them, creating waves of movement, and ultimately hitting that crescendo with such force that the listener feels the movement as well. Truly phenomenal tune!

“Tall and Bulletproof” opens with the acoustic guitars strumming the rhythms while that wonderfully expressive voice of Cryingwolf erupts over the groove. What I find most endearing about her voice is that she’s not afraid to show the rougher edges to it. It’s not American Idol perfect (thank God,) but is filled with so much more character than the norm. Also take note of the bass work throughout this one as well. The good Mr. Paul Hansen uses great runs to show a bit of virtuosity without sounding flashy and pompous.

“Heaven” comes across as almost poppy, and that’s a good thing. The bouncy groove is an immediate head bobber and damn it . . . the upbeat tempo just makes me feel good! The guitar work of Paul Pederson and Davide Raso is so understated in this tune and almost takes a backseat to the rhythmic groove that Hansen and drummer Mark Jacobson are laying down. When the guitars do take front and center, they get and keep your attention. This guitar tandem uses their instruments like a master illusionist uses the art of distraction. While you’re focused, listening to the musicians in the forefront, these two guitarists sneak up behind you and damn near have you jump out of your skin when they open up the distortion.

“Blood from a Stone” is the tune that made me realize that I was listening to a disc from a band that had more than a pocketful of promise. I was certain how I felt about Paul Pederson taking the lead vocal role to start the song, but once Rhea jumps in, the song becomes this amazing composition with 20,000 leagues of depth. This is the soul that I’m talking about. “Blood from a Stone” is a rock song that has the elements of prog mixed in, but never for a moment sounding pretentious or over blown. It’s a rock song played by musicians who aren’t afraid to step outside of the box and express themselves with their voice, not someone else’s. I absolutely love how the band drops out of stereo and goes into the whole mono thing. Nice production touch!

I love MySpace, especially when I stumble on music that moves me to apply my fingertips to my keyboard. I don’t expect to see Oceans at the top of the Billboard charts, mainly because I don’t run the system, but I do expect them to (no pun intended) make waves. Their music is high quality, original, and moving. The compositions aren’t complex, but they feel like they are. The musicianship is outstanding, but subtle. Endurance is not going to set the world on fire, but it should at least increase the ash content in the air. I expect their next album will be even better because Oceans is made up of musicians who care about their craft and expect to grow with experience. Strong, strong effort.

I wonder if I could ever get Rhea to sing me happy birthday . . . - Pope JTE

buy here: The Other Side



Comments