A Sunday Conversation with Astrovan

Joining us today on the red leather interview couch,  Deezer, lead singer of Astrovan, filling us in on all things heavy and Astrovan!


When I was a kid, my house was filled with the sounds of Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel.  The first time I ever heard Kiss' "Detroit Rock City," was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive, and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few similar experiences since then, coming across bands that bring something new and revolutionary to my ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?


 For me, I would have to say Pearl Jam, and their album Ten. Once I heard it, I was hooked. I remember listening to that album every day for almost a year. It sounds a bit cliche, being from Seattle, but to me, that band was a real eye opener musically.  


Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll sit down and write a song having nothing but words. Sometimes I'll have a melody, or hook stuck in my head, and I'll give it to the guys to run with.  Most of the time, they inspire me. Some of the easiest and best songs we've written have come out of just jamming.  The vibe strikes everyone at the same time, and a riff gets going, then all hell breaks loose...then a song emerges. It's a beautiful thing.


Who has influenced you the most?


I try not to corner myself into letting just one person or band influence me more than another. However, I am a huge Jim Morrison fan. That man was an animal. His passionate, care-free, offensive, song writing and performing were insane. In my mind, he is right at the top. But, there are many others as well. Anyone who has a "fuck it" attitude with the chops to back it up is a definite influence.


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 Life itself. Not the touchy feely parts, but the stuff that pisses me off. Whether it's something stupid that someone says or does. It Could even be about my personal experiences in the past or present. Ideas and motivation are all around. I try to be open-minded enough to see it.  


Genre's are so misleading and such a way to pigeonhole bands. Without resorting
to labels, how would you describe your music?


Mean. Down right mean. Too much music right now lacks attitude. We are trying to put loud, dirty, gritty, balls to the wall, rock n' roll back on the map. Let's stop talking about puppies, and love songs, and start kickin' some ass again! We think it is way overdue.

What is you musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your
audience to feel?


First, have fun. We write, play, and perform to have fun. It's a release from normalcy. When we are having fun, everyone seems to have fun with us. That's the way it should be. When we are hitting hard, people feel it, and they start to let go. They let the stress of everyday life move to the back burner, and just have a good time.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll
moments?


There is that time that our guitarist got us thrown out of our own cd release party, but that's a long story for my book.


What makes a great song?


Longevity. A song that you've heard years ago that still gives you the same feeling the first time you've heard it. 


Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?


Wow, I can't even think back to when that was. I started writing songs back in elementary school. I would have to try to dig around and find one from back then. I'll have to get back to you on that one.



 
What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Actually, it was very recent that this song was written. Most of the time, the band gives me a rough outline of a song, and I write to that. On this particular song called "14 Days, 14 Nights," the roles were reversed. I had an idea, and brought it to them. They came up with a killer riff that took it to a whole new level! I'm pretty proud of that track.


Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

That's really tough. There really aren't any bands that have recently come out that I am into. I've been on a huge Guns n' Roses kick as of late. The older stuff really gets my blood pumping. Anything from Zep, Sabbath, G & R, Van Halen, and others like that. I'm always checking out new stuff, but recently it hasn't hit me in that "kick my ass" sort of way. It's kind of pathetic now that I think about it.


Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?


 I wish I had more vinyl. There is nothing better sounding than vinyl! It's warm, nostalgic, and it just screams rock n' roll! But, I have a lot of digital. Its just too easy to buy, and listen to.


Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 My choice is BOTH! My favorite round of choice is a Bud Light with a shot of Jameson. I will not choose, because I always drink them together. That isn't to say that I'd turn down one without the other!


We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 My hometown is Seattle, WA. The best record store to get lost in would definitely have to be  Sonic Boom Records. Awesome store to check out if you're ever in Seattle.


Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

Astrovan has a busy schedule in 2011. We have a new record coming out called "Rollin on Shabbos" that should be released some time in late Spring. We'll be on the road a ton, so keep an eye on our show schedule at www.astrovanrocks.com

  Thanks for a great interview...it was a blast!

Comments