Bossa Nova & The Rise of Brazilian Music in the 1960s

Many find it hard to believe but I often need to take a break from high volume, head banging rock, punk and metal. The fact is staying away from what you love makes you love and crave it even more. And when I need to rest my battered ears I do not turn to mellow singer-songwriter crap, electronic “chill out” garbage or, even worse, Wilco. There are many other musical avenues I like to travel but one of my favorites is the high energy and rhythmically exciting realm of Brazilian music. I have many Bossa Nova compilations but when I saw that the well respected UK label Soul Jazz was putting out a double CD (also available on double LP) I picked it up without hesitation.

I’m far from an expert on the topic of Bossa Nova and its origins so I won’t bother to try and explain its evolution. Once you hear it, you’re hooked and there’s no turning back. Bossa Nova demands your attention and involvement. It is impossible to listen to this music and not start stomping your foot and banging on the table or nearest bottle. At first you may drive those around you nuts but before too long, they too, are tapping their pencil on the side of their coffee mug and a massive percussion discussion is happening all around you.

Like most compilations on Soul Jazz, there’s an excellent mix of well known and obscure artists. Big names like Joao Gilberto, Sergio Mendes, Gilberto Gil and Antonio Carlos Jobim are represented while most of the other artists were unfamiliar to me. There are 17 songs per disc and not a single one is even close to a dud. How often does that happen? As an import, it’s a little bit pricey but you get excellent value for money on this package. The 74 page book is very interesting and has lots of great photos. There’s lots more I could say about this but I’d rather listen. Loud, too.

--Woody 



buy here: Bossa Nova Rise of Brazilian Music in the 1960s


Buy here book: Bossa Nova

Comments