It Came From ReverbNation #10; Featuring The Relative Strangers, New Pilot, Good Sir Con Artist, Odoghan, Ned Evett, and Carlos Rock Experience




From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

The Relative Strangers – Waltzing out of Orange County, CA comes this four member alternative rock band whose song submission sounds like a more modern/indie take on a song by The Pixies.  They namedrop The Killers, Muse, The Dear Hunter, and The Cure as similar artists.  If any of those artists excites you I strongly suggest checking these guys out.

Song Sample – “What’s The Weapon Of Choice?”


New Pilot – Wait a second!  That simply wasn’t fair.  This five piece band from outside Boston, MA begins their song with a full on alt rock soundscape.  Then, thirty seconds in, the song completely transitions into a compelling roots rock anthem!  Yep, that was pretty darn groovy.  Dr. Dog, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket are listed as similar artists.  Have a listen.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/newpilot
Song Sample – “Stuttering” 


Good Sir Con Artist – This Dayton, OH quartet reminds me of one of my current favorite bands, Murdocks.  The song they submitted has this old school, wholesome feel to it that is repeatedly thrown into disarray with huge distorted choruses.  Really cool stuff in my opinion.  Interestingly they list The Fray, Third Eye Blind, and The Format as similar artists.  I say interesting because I disagree.  What’s your verdict?

Song Sample – “Darla”

 

Odoghan – Do you know any bands from Cordoba, Argentina?  Well now you do!  This four man unit sent in a rollicking punk and roll tune that really got my blood pumping.  Great dual guitar work, and in your face melodic vocals.  Lovely!  Their other songs deviate almost 180 degrees from this style.  Since they compare themselves to the Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, and Coldplay I suppose that makes sense.  Which song do you like the most?

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/odoghan
Song Sample – “Sail To The Moon” 

!

Ned Evett – Hear me out waveriders.  I listened to the song submitted by this gentleman from Nashville, TN one time and thought it was extremely pleasant Americana.  Then I read about how he plays a fretless guitar.  My second run through became much more impressive while still remaining extremely pleasant.  Then I listened to another track which turned out to be a wicked barn-burner.  For crying out loud, his latest album was worked on and produced by Adrian Belew!  Need I say more?

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/nedevett
Song Sample – Live Snippets From Boise 

!

Carlos Rock Experience – Please excuse me for believing that this five piece band from La Jolla, CA would provide a Santana-like experience.  That is far from accurate.  While this band retains a classic rock sound they make it clear that their influences are the Faces, 1970’s era Rolling Stones, and early Fleetwood Mac.  And let me tell you folks, that’s what they sound like.  Their song has a pretty gnarly main guitar line, and the female vocalist provides plenty of attitude.  I like it.

Song Sample – “No Regret” 

!

--Penfold

Comments