Mastodon - Cold Dark Place EP



Greetings once again waveriders.  As this review is publishing shortly after Christmas I hope all of you have had a wonderful holiday season full of good tidings and cheer!  Thanks to a crowded schedule I needed something short and sweet to quickly write up in between family/social engagements.  Enter the latest release from Mastodon, the excellent Cold Dark Place EP.

I realize that I'm late to the party when it comes to discussing this EP.  Released in late September, I was aware of and listened to the Cold Dark Place EP when it initially hit the market but failed to actually purchase it until mid-December.  Why the delay?  I don't know.  What I do know for a fact is that in my time at The Ripple Effect I've become a rather large fan of the guitar work and vocals of Brent Hinds.  His work with Mastodon is exceptional to my ears, but the songs that make up Cold Dark Place better reflect the sounds I associate with his side projects Fiend Without A Face and West End Motel. 

Something else I know for a fact is that all four songs on this EP are phenomenal!  The heaviness associated with Mastodon is present, but it merely lurks menacingly in the background for the most part.  Taking center stage in place of said heaviness are beautiful, mysterious melody lines coupled with increasingly ornate guitar playing and magnificent, extended guitar solos.  Mr Hinds has outdone himself with the performances captured here.

Waveriders, this one is pretty easy.  If you're a fan of Mastodon you likely already know about the Cold Dark Place EP.  In the event you did not however, I'm happy to report you have another worthy release to add to your collection.  On the other hand maybe you're not a fan of Mastodon?  May I recommend that you put aside any preconceived notions about what these songs will sound like and take a chance?  You will likely be pleasantly surprised!

-Penfold



Comments