Fistful Of Questions With Richard Weeks


Humanitarian.  Multi-instrumentalist.  Wrestling enthusiast.  Cat lover.  Record label head honcho.  Those are but a few of the titles that can be accurately applied to the recipient of this edition of Fistful of Questions.  In addition to juggling the responsibilities of work, sleep, managing a label and a steady social media presence Mr. Richard Weeks generously agreed to answer my queries. 


What is your full name?

     My name is Richard Weeks… But you can call me Dick.

Do you have any aliases?

     Working as a metal artist, I have way too many dumb aliases, haha. Amarok, Wraith, World        Controller, The Pope… The list is endless as long as I have silly musical ideas!

What was the first instrument that you played?

     I got a guitar when I was 16, but didn’t get around to actually trying to learn it until I was 17. Pretty late right?

Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

     I am mostly self-taught. I had tablature explained to me when I first started, but other than that, I have mostly just learned by example. Just watching and listening to bands I enjoy.

What all instruments do you play?

     I play guitar, bass, synth, and various hand drums. I also program, do field recordings, and sing in various styles. It all depends on the project.

When did you start Blackened Death Records?

     I started Blackened Death as “The Eucharistic Assembly” podcast in 2012 I want to say. In 2015, I stated “Eucharistic Assembly Records” and /one day/ later changed it to Blackened Death Records.
How many albums have you recorded and released?

     To be honest, I’m not sure. I record a lot and release something new every couple of weeks. My “discography” page on Facebook says I have 77 entries, but some of those will be singles and compilations.

Of all the projects that you are involved with do you have a favorite?

     It’s like trying to choose a favourite child or pet… I love Suicide Wraith because it is the most distilled form of my emotions. But Olivia Neutered John is also great because it touches a lot of people. But Carnivorous Forest was my first band, so I love her a lot too.

Tell me about the inspiration behind the compilation that you released titled WOMAN?

     For WOMAN I wanted to do something different than our other comps. We have done six or seven before now, but I wanted to show the community I am serious about helping others. It was Margaret from Feminazgul who suggested a charity - and that was all it took. We ended up raising $500 for Doctors Without Borders /and/ we got some great anti-nazi tunes out there.

What is the music scene like in Nova Scotia?

     NS is very small. You are either part of the Halifax scene or you are not in a scene. It’s a big scene with lots of great bands and people, but unless you play black metal / grind, you probably won’t find a following.

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

     I got to see Cryptopsy play ALL of None So Vile with Lord Worm. It was glorious.

What year was this and where did you see them?

     Oh the year must have been… 2005 / 2006. It was when Lord Worm returned to the band for awhile. This was a one off show in Halifax. It was great.

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

     MORE SLEEP.

The year is 1999.  Where are you at and what are you doing?

     The year is 1999 and I am living in a spare room at my mom’s house because I just finished high school and had zero aspirations. ...That was a dark time in my life.

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

     Three days maybe? Blame Bloodstock… I don’t do festivals anymore!

How long have you been a fan of professional wrestling?

     I was a huge fan as a kid during the Undertaker era. Late 80s early 90s. But I dropped off around maybe 95 and didn’t get back into it till maybe 2015 / 16. I missed a lot!

If you were a professional wrestler what would your wrestling name be?

     I think about this a lot tbh. I’d be THE POPE. My gimmick would be that I’d come to the ring dressed as a pope. I’d also have a prop staff full of all kinds of nefarious gadgets: Blinding powder, a stun gun, burning oil...
 
Big Trouble in Little China or They Live?

     Confession time: I’ve never seen either. I know.
 
If you could insert yourself into one band which band would it be and why?

     Megadeth so I could shave Dave Mustaine’s head and draw cocks on his face when he slept.
 
David Bowie or David Hasselhoff? (if you had to pick)

     BOWIE. The man had some good tunes.
 
Spam or Vienna Sausage?

     Spam! Fried! In a sandwich! With slice cheese!
 
Favorite Britney Spears song?

     Definitely Toxic. It could almost be a metal track. DEFINITELY a neofolk track.
 
Favorite guilty pleasure?

     Sleeping in till noon. Every day of my life.
 
Favorite book?

     1984 by Orwell. I don’t like happy endings.
 
Favorite movie?

     Blade Runner. I don’t like happy endings.
 
Favorite album?

     This changes weekly. Maybe Deathrace King by The Crown or The Answer Machine by Skyclad. Maybe The Dream Sequencer by Ayreon. Really hard to choose.
Favorite meal?

     Pepperoni and cheese pizza. I don’t like happy endings.
 
Describe yourself in fifteen words or less.

     Hungry, tired, probably need to record a bass solo for someone…
 
~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

Comments